In November 2007, PepsiCo announced a restructuring initiative to split the company into three units, one for food in the US, one for beverages in the US and one for food and drinks abroad.
- Beverage Products – Diet Pepsi, Gatorade, Mountain Dew, Thirst Quencher, Tropicana, Aquafina Bottled Water, Sierra Mist.
- Savory Food Snacks – Fritos Corn chips, Cheetos, Ruffles Potato Chips, Lays Potato Chips, Tostitos, Doritos.
- Other Food Products – breakfast cereals, cakes and cake mixes.
- PepsiCo recently created Baked Snacks North America Business Unit to meet consumer’s interest in more nutritious snacks and foods.
- Expenses related to transportation, ingredients and labor continue to pressure the beverage industry toward price increases.
- PepsiCo’s drink pricing strategies may be heavily influenced by its working relationship with Wal-Mart whose low price themes put pressure on PepsiCo to hold down prices.
- The company strives to cut or maintain current prices by cutting overhead and re-engineering the manufacturing process.
- PepsiCo is expanding its use of inexpensive and recyclable plastic bottles; nevertheless the company has instituted some price increases in recent years, specifically in its overseas markets such as New Delhi and Duba.
- PepsiCo is primarily a US based company with approximately 52% of its revenues located in the states.
- PepsiCo is in the midst of making a $1, 000 million investment in China, and a $500 million investment in India. Both initiatives are part of its expansion into international markets and a lessening of its dependence on US sales.
- In addition the company plans on major capital initiatives in Brazil and Mexico.
- The company is also acquiring Russia’s leading Juice Company, Lebedyansky, and V Water located in the United Kingdom.
PespsiCo Marketing Mix
In 1965 Herman W. Lay of the Frito-Lay Company and Donald Kendall of Pepsi-Cola formed PepsiCo. In 1986 operations were combined under PepsiCo Worldwide Foods and PepsiCo Worldwide Beverages. In 2001 PepsiCo merged with Quaker Oats to form a $25 billion company. PepsiCo restructured in 2007 dividing the company into three units’ food in the US, Drinks concentrated in the US and Food and Drinks marketed abroad. Would you like to take a lesson on the marketing mix?
- PepsiCo instituted a so called Pepsi Stuff promotion whereby customers could accumulate Pepsi Points from buying various products these points could be used to by other products, most recently AmazonMP3.
- A recent promotion involving the NY Yankees was not well received when not enough free tickets were made available.
- In 2008 PepsiCo employed Tiger Woods to promote a Gatorade brand called Gatorade Tiger.
- PepsiCo continues is promotional association with the NFL and the Super Bowl specifically marketing Pepsi and Doritos.
- In 2009 Pepsi launched its “Pepsi Throwback” campaigned offering a drink with the sugar content of its original product.
- Indra K. Nooyi is the President of PepsiCo in addition to the company’s CFO
- Recently the Board of Directors elected Steven S Reinemund chairman of the board and chief executive officer.
- PepsiCo fosters a corporate culture that values employees and emphasized diversity in the workplace.
- PepsiCo is named to the ‘Best Companies for Multi Cultural Women’ list by Working Mother magazine
- PepsiCo is recognized at two events for its dedication to Talent Sustainability and dedication to Asian American employees—2009 Best Companies for Asian Pacific Americans from Asian Entrepreneur, Top 10 Companies for Asian Americans from AMBA
- PepsiCo has won the ‘Workplace Excellence’ Award at Out & Equal Workplace National Summit
- PepsiCo is listed in the top 20 ‘Ideal Employer MBA Ranking’ in Fortune magazine
- PepsiCo’s website provides a wealth of information about the company including the firm’s rich history and manufacturing process.
- PepsiCo is an industry leader in packaging – helping to promote and implement standards for sustainable packaging.
- PepsiCo has a packaging philosophy: reduce, reuse, recycle, remove and renew.
- PepsiCo is in the process of removing high fructose corn syrup (HFCS) from both the traditional.
- The Frito-Lay department will soon produce Lay’s Kettle with natural flavors, and to boost the whole grain and fiber content, respectively, of its Tostitos and Sun Chips brands.
- Flavor concentrates are shipped from special Pepsi-Cola manufacturing plants, The bottles and cans that will eventually be filled with Pepsi are manufactured elsewhere, and shipped to Pepsi plants wrapped and sealed for protection, Labels, cartons, caps, the carbon dioxide used to carbonate soft drinks and other supplies are also produced for Pepsi by other companies, Once on the belt, cans are part of an enclosed, controlled environment that keeps them sanitary and helps ensure quality throughout the filling process, Pepsi-Cola takes special care to purify the water it uses – a procedure that involves careful treatment, filtration and purification, Pepsi-Cola flavor concentrate is carefully combined with sweeteners and other ingredients in large stainless steel mixing tanks. Quality control audits performed by specially trained technicians are a critical part of the manufacturing sequence, In the last step of the manufacturing process, as the now-rinsed cans reach the filler, they’re reinverted, immediately filled and the lid is applied – at an average speed of 1,200 cans per minute.