Content marketing is the management of content to engage visitors, followers and customers. Any medium which is on a webpage or social network can form the basis of content.
There are lots of examples of such tools and approaches; content may relate to material on social networks such as Facebook; it might be social streaming through iTunes or Spotify; content could be social publishing such as blogs or a personal website; it might be social knowledge such as Wikipedia; content media might include social searches such as Google Product Search; there are other examples such as social bookmarking sites including Reddit.
Therefore, content marketing controls text and video, and other tools such as games, apps, vouchers and so on, so that the visitor is engaged in communication and dialogue; this supports our longer-term relationship.
You will need to address a series of topics in readiness for content marketing.
- Which platform does our target market use to access content? Do they use traditional newspapers or magazines i.e. traditional print media? Do they use social networks such as Facebook? Do they use more than one platform to access content?
- How will they participate with the content which they access? Will they play games? Will they post messages? Will they circulate a viral e-mail?
- Can content be syndicated? Syndicated content can embed material from elsewhere on a webpage or in an app. RSS is an example of syndication.
- Which medium would be best to communicate with your target group? This often depends on whether the user accesses content via a tablet or laptop using Wi-Fi, or whether they are using mobile devices, accessing using 4G. Obviously the richness or size of downloaded video, images or text will vary depending on local download speeds; also think about target groups in international markets where speed is variable.
- Finally, what actually engages your target audience? What content will they actually value? Do they want video? Do they want to download maps? Do they want to pay with their phones or mobile devices? Do they simply need information in text format? Do they want to play games? Do they want to contact friends?
There are plenty of other blogs, lessons and articles on our website to help you extend and develop your content marketing skills for digital marketing.