What is content marketing?
Content marketing is the management of content to engage visitors and customers. So any medium which is on a webpage or social network can form the basis of content.
There are lots of examples of such tools and approaches; content my relate to material on a social networks such as Facebook; it might be social streaming through iTunes or Spotify; content could be social publishing such as blogs or a personal website; it might be social knowledge such as Wikipedia; content media might include social search such as Google Product Search; there are other examples such as social bookmarking sites including delicious and Reddit.
So content marketing controls text and video, and other tools such as games, maps, vouchers and so on, so that the visitor is engaged in communication and dialogue; this supports our longer term relationship.
The marketer needs to address a series of topics in readiness for content marketing.
- Which platform does our target market used to access content? Do they use traditional newspapers or magazines i.e. traditional print media? Do they use social networks such as Facebook? Do they use more than one platform to access content?
- How will they participate with the content which they access? Will they play games? While they post messages? Will they circulate a viral e-mail?
- Can content be syndicated? Syndicated content can embed material from elsewhere on a webpage or in an app. RSS is an example of syndication.
- Which medium would be best to communicate with your target group? This often depends on whether the user accesses content via a tablet or laptop using Wi-Fi, or whether they are using mobile devices accessing using 4G. Obviously the richness or size of downloaded video, images or text will vary depending on local download speeds; also think about target groups in international markets where speed is variable.
- Finally what actually engages your target audience? What content will they actually value? Do they want video? Do they want to download maps? Do they want to pay with their phones or mobile devices? Do they simply information in text format? Do they want to play games? Do they want to contact friends? This is a far reaching question deserving of thought and preparation on the part of the marketing manager.
Types of content marketing
Content marketing is a marketing strategy that involves creating and sharing valuable, relevant, and consistent content to attract and retain a defined audience and ultimately drive profitable customer action. Content marketing can take many different forms, and in this article, we will explore the various types of content that businesses can use to engage their audience and achieve their marketing goals.
Blogging is one of the most popular forms of content marketing, and for good reason. Blogs allow businesses to share their expertise, provide valuable information to their audience, and build a loyal following. Blog posts can take many different forms, from how-to guides and listicles to opinion pieces and news updates.
Videos are another highly effective form of content marketing. Videos can be used to showcase a product or service, provide educational content, or tell a brand’s story. Videos can take many different forms, including product demos, explainer videos, and brand stories.
Infographics are a visually appealing way to share information with an audience. They can be used to present data, explain a process, or tell a story in a visually engaging way. Infographics can be shared on social media, included in blog posts, or used in email marketing campaigns.
Social media platforms like Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram are a powerful way to reach a large audience with your content. Social media can be used to share blog posts, videos, infographics, and other types of content with your followers. Social media platforms also allow businesses to engage with their audience through likes, comments, and shares.
Podcasts are a popular way for businesses to connect with their audience and share valuable information. Podcasts can take many different forms, from interviews with industry experts to informative discussions about a particular topic. Podcasts can be shared on social media, embedded in blog posts, and even monetized through sponsorships and advertising.
Ebooks are longer-form content that can be used to provide in-depth information on a particular topic. Ebooks can be used to educate an audience, provide valuable insights, or showcase a brand’s expertise. Ebooks can be offered as a free download in exchange for an email address or used as a lead magnet to attract potential customers.
Webinars are a live or recorded presentation that allows businesses to connect with their audience in real-time. Webinars can be used to provide educational content, showcase a product or service, or host a Q&A session with industry experts. Webinars can be promoted through social media, email marketing, and other channels.
- Content Marketing Institute. (2021). What is Content Marketing? Retrieved from https://contentmarketinginstitute.com/what-is-content-marketing/
- Moz. (2021). The Beginner’s Guide to Content Marketing. Retrieved from https://moz.com/beginners-guide-to-content-marketing
- HubSpot. (2021). The Ultimate List of Types of Marketing. Retrieved from https://blog.hubspot.com/marketing/types-of-marketing
- Forbes. (2021). What Is Content Marketing? Retrieved from https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbesagencycouncil/2021/03/18/what-is-content-marketing-and-how-does-it-work/?sh=1ddfb2e15ed9
- Neil Patel. (2021). The Ultimate Guide to Content Marketing in 2021. Retrieved from https://